Monday 8 October 2012

Garden Pea and Mint Soup

Pin It Now!

I love peas. They are sweet, a bag of frozen ones is really affordable, they are versatile, healthy and they are beautifully green. Two of my favourite thing to make with peas are Kedgeree and Macaroni Peas. Also my mum's Split Pea Soup is one of my all time favourite things to eat and would make it onto the shortlist of dishes for my death row dinner.

The soup calls for the use of dried peas though and therefore takes quite a while to make, so when I want a quicker soup I make Garden Pea and Mint Soup. Peas and mint are just meant for one another and if you haven't tried the combination, don't wait any longer.

Photobucket

P.S. Lucy says: "Write how much I loved it!"

Garden Pea and Mint Soup (serves 4)

vegetable oil
a small knob of butter
a medium white onion or half a large leek, chopped finely
1 clove of garlic, minced
5 cups of frozen peas (you can use fresh of course)
a large handful of fresh mint, chopped finely
1 litre of good quality vegetable stock (or chicken if you're not vegetarian)
salt and pepper, to taste
a little grated parmesan (optional)
a little creme fraiche or sour cream (optional)

In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat a little oil and a knob of butter over medium heat.

Add the onions or leek and saute till soft, stirring regularly to stop them from colouring. It should take about 5 minutes or so.

Add the garlic and saute for another couple of minutes.

Now add the peas, the chopped mint (keep a little back for garnish if you like) and the stock and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and carefully puree the soup using a stick blender. Watch out for hot soup splashes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and return to the hob and heat through.

Serve hot with crusty bread for the perfect lunch.

If you like you can put a little grated parmesan in the bottom of the individual soup bowls before adding the hot soup, or alternatively try finishing each bowl off with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream.

Enjoy!





5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never tried this combo, looks divine.

Marie Rayner said...

How wonderfully fresh Sylvie! Looks delicious!

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

Yum, a nice healthy and fresh bowl of soup.

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme. New theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Caitlin said...

I am going to try this! Me and Sophie had this amazing chilled pea and mint soup in Valencia once and it was amazing! xx :)

Sylvie said...

Jennifurla, you won't be disappointed if you do.

Marie, thanks.

Debs, thanks for pointing the event out. I'll pop over and have a look.

Caitlin, I've had it chilled and it's good that way too, but at this time of year I like my soup hot!