Monday 12 May 2008

Sunday's Lazy Breakfast

Pin It Now!

I woke up on Sunday morning just to find that D and our friend G had fallen asleep on the sofa in the living room. Well, one of them on the sofa the other one in a chair. I think that maybe just maybe that was due to just one (or two, or three) too many drinks at the BBQ on Saturday night.

When I looked at them, I was so glad that I had been at least a little more sensible and had drunk a few pints of water before going to bed at about four in the morning. They looked rough and I think they felt it too, even though D only admitted to it when I wanted to go out for a picnic in the afternoon and he really wasn't up to it.

Usually on a morning like that I'd probably cook us a Full English, but I wanted something different, so I made some pancakes, chopped up some fruit, got out the syrup, mixed some yoghurt with quark, made some coffee and poured plenty of fresh orange juice, before waking the two.

The breakfast seemed to be much appreciated and went down well with all of us. A great start to what turned out to be a lazy sunny Sunday.

Photobucket

Old Fashioned Pancakes (serves 3-4)

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 medium egg, beaten
1tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/4 cups milk

Sift together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.

In a separate large bowl whisk toghether the beaten egg with vanilla extract, melted butter and milk.

Add the flour mix little by little, whisking constantly until you get a smooth batter (it'll be quite thick.

Heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium heat.

Add a little oil and pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake . Spread out a little with the back of a spoon.

When the batter starts to bubble around the edge and on top, flip the pancake over and bake until the other side is also golden.

Contininue until you have used up all the batter. My pan fits only about three pancakes at a time and I have to make them in batches, keeping them warm in a warm oven.

These are maybe a little thicker than the 'standard' (whatever that may be) American pancake, but they are light and fluffy and taste great.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

The drinking the night before obviously also affected me. I nearly forgot to take a picture of the 'assembled' pancake and the one I did take of my half-eaten one, is rather blurry, but I guess that was my view of the world at the time!




14 comments:

Mama Mia said...

I love all of your plates! So cute! Of course the food on it looks amazing as well~

Raquel said...

Sylvie, those look like typical american pancakes to me!! I like to throw a bit of cornmeal in mine. Sounds lovely and looks even better!

Sylvie said...

Lina, thanks. Quite a few people have told me in the past they like them. I've never really been that keen on them, but I was given them as a leaving present at work and because they are white the food photographs well on them. My other set is green and makes the food look odd sometimes.

Raquel, last time I made a different recipe when I wanted American style pancakes (the European ones being more like thick crepes) and the batter was thinner and they didn't puff up quite as much. I'll try adding a little cornmeal next time.

Nic said...

I know where I am going for breakfast this weekend Sylvie...!

Jan said...

And me Nic!.....Sylvie book us all in for breakfast this sunday please!!
It all looks very nice.
You were very wise to be drinking all that water!

Sylvie said...

Nic and Jan, I'll send you directions. It'll be ready at ten! ;)

Deborah said...

That's my idea of a perfect breakfast!!

Susan Morris said...

I've not had pancakes with yoghurt before only syrup.
These look yummy Sylvie.

test it comm said...

That breakfast looks like a great way to start the day! Nice plates.

Gloria Baker said...

I like really like this delicious breakfast and I love sooo your plates!! So nice xxGloria

Abby said...

Cute dishes! And if you did all of that and simply *almost* forgot to take pics I'd say you're a strong, strong chef! Amazing!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Lucky D and G! If someone prepared me a breakfast like that, I might even be tempted to get up early...

Sylvie said...

Thanks everyone!

vanessa marie said...

I love the dishes as well! The food does photograph nicely in those. Yummm :)