Monday 14 January 2008

One Pot Chicken with Beans

Pin It Now!

I took some chicken breast fillets out of my freezer on Saturday and then, I'm embarrassed to say, we ended up having a dirty take away instead. After eating it I so wished I had cooked, just like 90% of the time when we order some food in. I really should know better, but I just felt too lazy. Anyways I still had the defrosted chicken left to use up last night.

Whilst visiting my family in Germany over the holidays, I bought a new cookbook like I always do. It's full of tasty looking and sounding one pot meals and this is one of the recipes that caught my eye whilst looking through it the other day.

Photobucket

Instead of using the chicken pieces called for in the recipe, I used the fillets and just decreased the cooking time, especially the initial frying time. I also added some garlic (essential in my kitchen) and some extra chili and scaled the recipe (serves 6) down for just the two of us. We both really enjoyed it and thought it was well worth sharing.

One Pot Chicken with Beans (Hühnereintopf)

3 1/2lb bone in chicken pieces with skin
salt
2tbsp paprika
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp butter
2 medium onions, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
1 (400gr) can chopped tomatoes
200ml dry white wine
500ml chicken stock
1tbsp Worcester Sauce
¼ tbsp Tabasco
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 of a chopped red chili, seeds removed
1tbsp freshly chopped parsley (I used basil)
1 (350gr) can sweetcorn
1 (400gr) can butter beans

Season the chicken pieces with salt and the paprika.

In a large, heavy based pan, heat the oil and butter. Fry the chicken pieces over a medium heat until they have turned golden brown. This should take about 10-12 minutes. Remove them from the pan and set aside.

Add the onions and bell peppers to the pan and fry on a low heat for about 5 minutes until the have softened.

Add the tomatoes, wine, stock, Worcester sauce, Tabasco, garlic, chili and parsley (basil). Stir together whilst bringing it to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pan, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add the sweetcorn and beans and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes, keeping the pan only half covered.

You might want to thicken the sauce a little with a cornflower/water paste.

Garnish with some more freshly chopped parsley (basil).

This is great served just as it is with some crusty bread, or you can serve it over rice.




2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Those look really tasty Sylvie. I have a book that I bought in Germany when we were there a few years ago and all the recipes in it look extremely tasty. I may get you to help me with a couple of them sometime. I mean translating them to English. I tried an online traNSLATER and it didn't work very good. :-)

Sylvie said...

Marie, I'd be happy to help you with the translation of a few recipes. Just mail me, no problem. I know what you mean about online translators, usually all you get is gobbledygook.